Bungie sets Destiny 2’s final live-service update for June 9, 2026

After 9 years of Guardians grinding loot, the live-service treadmill is finally slowing down.

Destiny 2 Monument of Triumph celebration scene
(Image via Bungie)
TL;DR
  • Bungie has confirmed that Destiny 2's final live-service content update will release on June 9, 2026, ending active development of the shooter.
  • The game will remain playable after that date, similar to how the original Destiny is still online today.
  • Bungie says it is shifting focus to "incubating" new games, but hasn't confirmed Destiny 3 or detailed what the final update will include.
Community Reactions
How do you feel about this story?
👍
0
👎
0
😂
0
😡
0
😢
0

Bungie is closing the live-service chapter of Destiny 2. Bungie confirmed in a statement titled “Every End is a New Beginning” that the game’s final live-service content update will land on June 9, 2026.

That date marks the end of active development, not the end of the game itself. Bungie made a point of saying Destiny 2 will remain playable afterward, just like the original Destiny still is today.

“While our love for Destiny 2 has not changed, it has become clear that after The Final Shape, we have reached the time for our shared worlds, and Destiny, to live beyond Destiny 2,” Bungie wrote.

The studio added: “As our focus turns towards a new beginning for Bungie, we will begin work incubating our next games.”

Why The Final Shape was the exit ramp

The Final Shape, released in 2024, wrapped up the Light and Darkness saga that had been running since the original Destiny launched in 2014. The Witness fell, the Traveler’s story arc closed, and the franchise hit a natural narrative endpoint.

Bungie is now treating that ending as the cue to step away from Destiny 2‘s live-service model. The June 2026 patch is described as a transition update, with changes aimed at making the game “a welcoming place for players to return to.”

Bungie hasn’t confirmed what that final update actually contains. There’s no word on whether vaulted content like the Red War campaign, Curse of Osiris, or Warmind will be restored, and no offline mode has been mentioned.

Bungie’s next move

The studio says it’s now “incubating” its next games. Bungie is still working on Marathon, its upcoming extraction shooter, and remains a Sony-owned studio after the $3.6bn acquisition completed in 2022. The announcement doesn’t link Marathon to Destiny 2‘s wind-down, and Sony hasn’t issued a related statement.

By the time the final update rolls out, Destiny 2 will have run as an active live-service title for nearly nine years. The wider Destiny franchise will be approaching its 12th birthday.

Explore More
Meet the Editor
mm
Senior Editor