Sony is reportedly done bringing its big single-player games to PC

PlayStation wants you to actually buy a PlayStation again.

Collage of popular PlayStation video game characters
(Image via Sony Interactive Entertainment)
TL;DR
  • Hermen Hulst reportedly told PlayStation staff in a Monday town hall that Sony's narrative single-player games will stay exclusive to PlayStation hardware.
  • The shift would end Sony's recent strategy of porting major franchises like God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man, and The Last of Us to PC after a delay.
  • Live-service titles like Helldivers 2 appear unaffected, while the future of Sony-owned PC port studio Nixxes is now an open question.
Community Reactions
How do you feel about this story?
👍
0
👎
0
😂
0
😡
0
😢
0

PlayStation Studios boss Hermen Hulst has reportedly told staff that Sony’s narrative single-player games will stay exclusive to PlayStation hardware going forward.

According to Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier, Hulst delivered the message during an internal town hall on Monday morning. The statement lines up with earlier Bloomberg reporting suggesting Sony had cooled on its PC port strategy for first-party titles.

SCOOP: PlayStation studio business CEO Hermen Hulst told staff in a town hall Monday morning that the company's narrative single-player games will now be PlayStation exclusive, confirming Bloomberg's reporting from earlier this year. Original story from March: www.bloomberg.com/news/article…

[image or embed]

— Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier.bsky.social) 18 mai 2026 à 20:47

The shift, if applied as broadly as it sounds, would end one of Sony’s defining moves of the PS5 era. Since 2020, the company has brought a long list of former exclusives to PC, including Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered, Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection, The Last of Us Part I, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarök, and Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.

The new line in the sand seems clear. Story-driven, single-player blockbusters stay on PlayStation. Live-service and multiplayer games can keep going wide, much like Helldivers 2, which launched day-and-date on PS5 and PC last year.

What it means for the big franchises

The studios most affected by the policy are the ones that built PlayStation’s reputation. Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, Guerrilla Games, Insomniac Games, Sucker Punch, and Housemarque all fit the prestige single-player mold.

That puts question marks on PC versions of upcoming titles like Marvel’s Wolverine, the next Horizon, future God of War projects, and Naughty Dog’s Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet. None have been confirmed canceled for PC, but the reported policy makes them unlikely candidates.

PC players who started franchises like Horizon, God of War, or Spider-Man on Steam may find themselves stuck without the sequels unless they pick up a console.

The reasoning

Sony’s logic isn’t hard to follow. Delayed PC ports made it easier for buyers to skip PlayStation hardware entirely, assuming any major exclusive would eventually hit Steam. Cutting that pipeline restores the “must-own” status of the console.

It also positions Sony as the opposite of Microsoft, which has steadily pushed Xbox-published games onto PlayStation, Nintendo platforms, and PC. With rumors of a more PC-like next-gen Xbox, Sony likely doesn’t want its biggest releases playable on a competitor’s hardware through Steam. The move puts Sony closer to Nintendo’s playbook than Xbox’s.

Exclusivity only works when there are exclusives. Sony’s biggest studios now ship games every five to eight years, and Naughty Dog still hasn’t released an all-new title this generation. If the PS6 lands at $700 or more, “buy our console for three games” is going to be a tougher pitch than ever.

Explore More
Meet the Editor
mm
Senior Editor